Missionary, God Follower, Teacher, Mathematician, Chronically Late, Knitter, Singer, Musician, Eternal Optimist, Traveller, Coffee Lover, Photographer... Just a Day in the Life!

Friday 23 September 2011

Politics In A Coffee Shop

As a youth worker, I seem to spend a lot of time in coffee shops and I have decided that they would be the best place for the government to meet; forget Westminster! Conversations in coffee shops always seem to turn to discussions on religion, morality, politics, social constructs, sex... Basically, all of the so-called 'taboo' subjects.

I've overheard many groups of people putting the world to rights and think that if the government met in a coffee shop, perhaps their conversations would also turn to more fruitful matters such as these?

Today I had to bite my tongue as I overheard a pair discuss:
- Whose responsibility it is to provide sex education.
- What we should do now that sex has become "something to do, like playing video games" (their words).
- How it is time for different races, religions and people groups to "unite".
- Where our individual morals come from.
- Who is to blame for the violence in today's society.
- Why they don't believe in God.

How I wanted to get involved in that discussion; to ask them questions, challenge their views and basically let them know that the "problem with today's society" is that so many are without hope, love and faith.

People need God; they need to be told about the hope, the love and the faith that comes out of His grace toward us and love for us. Maybe I should be praying for my conversations in coffee shops... That God may be the centre of coffee shop politics, and the centre of the politics that guide this country.


0 comments:

Post a Comment