Missionary, God Follower, Teacher, Mathematician, Chronically Late, Knitter, Singer, Musician, Eternal Optimist, Traveller, Coffee Lover, Photographer... Just a Day in the Life!

Monday 2 December 2013

Full Measures

The Bible rarely uses the word 'some'... if you scour it's pages you are more likely to find the world 'all'. There's a very good reason for this; God doesn't want just some of our heart, our time, or our worship. He wants - and indeed deserves - it all.

I was at a school today teaching a Year 1 class and experienced a lovely moment as the kids came in from play. The whole school had been to assembly earlier in the day and, as it was a Church of England school, we had sung the classic 'Give Me Oil in My Lamp' and most of the children had sung it with gusto. For those not in the know, the chorus goes: 'sing hosanna, sing hosanna, sing hosanna to the King of Kings' (you'll see why this is important in a moment).

A young boy called George was in my class that day and, as he came in from play and hung his coat on his peg, I realised he was singing the song from assembly. With a smile, I listened as he sang to himself, and smiled even wider as he got to the chorus and sang 'sing lasagne, sing lasagne, sing lasagne to the King of Kings' 

What a joy to listen to that boy sing with such abandon, despite his lack of lyrical knowledge. I believe in my heart of hearts, that this kind of worship gives God more joy than a song sung perfectly; right notes, right words. A song sung from the heart, with a spirit of tthanksgiving and joy. I wondered as I listened whether I ever get caught up so much in singing and worshipping 'correctly', that I forget the heart of it. I'm sure I have made that mistake in the past but I hope that, in the future, I will remember George and repent; coming back to the heart of worship and giving God my all.

Matthew 22:37 NIV
Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

0 comments:

Post a Comment