Missionary, God Follower, Teacher, Mathematician, Chronically Late, Knitter, Singer, Musician, Eternal Optimist, Traveller, Coffee Lover, Photographer... Just a Day in the Life!

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Expectant Waiting

an·tic·i·pa·tion
 [ an tìssi páysh'n ]   
  1. expectant waiting: the feeling of looking forward, usually excitedly or eagerly, to something that is going to happen

We're never happy, are we? I prayed that God would reveal His plan for my life; what the next step was, where He wanted me to be... This He has done. My faithful God has confirmed what I believed He was telling me. I am going to be an intern at Attunga in Australia, very exciting! So, what's the problem? Well, I'm not going till January and I can't wait!

I'm sure I'm not alone in this 'problem', am I? We pray and seek God's guidance. We ask Him to reveal His plan and we get impatient waiting for His response. We want the answers yesterday, we'd like God to reveal our purpose and path as soon as possible. God does answer, He does reveal His plan. In His time. So, we finally hear from God; He tells us where He wants us to be and what He wants us to do. "Great!" we think - usually - "now I know what God wants." And then... we wait for it to happen.

And so the impatience of our human nature rears it's ugly head again! "God, you've told me what you want me to do. Why can't it happen now?" This is where I am at the moment. I know where God wants me to be but I'm waiting in anticipation for it to happen; January seems so far away. What do I do in the meantime? How do I wait for it to happen, knowing how amazing it will be?

And yet God, in His infinite grace, allows us our impatience. After revealing His plans, He *patiently* waits while we get to grips with what He's told us. He then *patiently* listens to our cries of "why not now?" God is love, the epitome of wisdom and the fullness of grace. He is trustworthy, faithful, loyal and just. He is our Father and our friend and we can rely on Him to reveal His plan at the right time, and to put this plan into action when the moment is right.

Our anticipation of good things to come, is not sinful. It is not displeasing to God. I believe that God sees my expectant waiting and smiles. He knows what's waiting for me on this next stage of my journey and He wants me to have the good things that will come along with it. But He also knows that I'm not ready for it right now. So I will wait. In anticipation. I will wait for what I know God has for me. And in the meantime? I will continue to seek God, His will for my life and bask in the graciousness of His patience.

"We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. Then the way you live will always honour and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better. We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light. For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins."
Colossians 1:9-14 (NLT)

0 comments:

Post a Comment