Missionary, God Follower, Teacher, Mathematician, Chronically Late, Knitter, Singer, Musician, Eternal Optimist, Traveller, Coffee Lover, Photographer... Just a Day in the Life!

Sunday 21 July 2013

River Of God

Those that know me will by now be aware that poetry is one of my favourite things. Not only do I love reading it, but I love to write it too. God also uses poetry to prophesy through me. Almost all of my prophetic words nowadays are brought through poems. This, I think, is a great thing because poetry is so often very emotive and, because of it's pattern and rhythm, is often easier to remember.
One of my earlier posts talked about how one of my poems was an answer to prayer during a Youth Work Summit; how I had written this poem and it became a liturgy for the end of the day.

Well on Friday night God again used a poem to speak through me during a worship evening at a local church. During the event there had been a clear theme: it seemed God was using the image of water to speak to all of us about cleansing, new beginnings, forgiveness, love, mission and all sorts of things. It was obvious that God was speaking and I believed that God was prompting me to write a poem. I got out my pen and prepared myself for Him to speak. I love that God chooses to use me and speak through me in this way and I just wanted to share it with you all:

Water of God

God's grace is not a trickling stream,
God's love is not a babbling brook,
God's mercy is not a broken fountain.

The grace of God is a rushing river
   breaking it's banks,
The love of God is a powerful waterfall
   shaping the landscape,
The mercy of God is a refreshing rain
   bringing new life.

If you are
thirsty for acceptance
thirsty for forgiveness,
thirsty for a new beginning;
   Come and drink.

Drink deep from the bottomless well
Drink deep from the spring that never runs dry
Drink deep from the overflowing cup.
Drink, and allow God
  to satisfy your thirst,
  to meet your needs,
  to refresh your soul.

God's grace, God's love, God's mercy,
like a limitless ocean,
flow eternally.
They never end,
          never run out.
God pours out His water
        of grace, love and mercy;
He pours out His Spirit,
  into our hearts
  into our lives

Without counting the cost
Without considering the price.

Receive His water,
  this life-giving, soul-shaping, heart-healing
  water.
Take as much as you need, then
Accept abundantly more.

So that you may become a source
   of the water of God.
That you may show
   this thirsty, weary world,
   where to come and drink.
To drink deep.

Of the grace, love, mercy,
Of the water
  which never ends
  and never runs out.
This water of God.

Julia King  19/07/2013

0 comments:

Post a Comment